an affiliate of FileYourTaxes.com


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q:   How do I use the system?

A.Once you start our tax filing system, you will need to accept the Terms of Use and thereafter, enter the "Basic Information" section.  The system will prompt you for information such as taxpayer's name and Social Security number (and if applicable, your spouse's), mailing and eMail addresses, filing status and so forth. The Government requires that you give us a valid and correct eMail address and it is your responsibility to make your eMail system accept eMails from our domain, FileYourTaxes.com. We communicate with you by eMail.

The FileYourTaxes.com provides you two approaches in the data entry preparation process. You may choose either the interview method or the forms based method. If you select the interview method, you will be presented with a sequence of questions, pertaining to the different aspects of the filing, to determine the tax parameters for your filing and then to provide you with the applicable input forms. Please be certain to go through the whole sequence so that you will not overlook any of the advantages that may be available to you. If you choose the forms based method, before you begin the "Basic Information" section, you should determine and choose the input pages that apply to you. Click here if you are not sure what input pages to use. After choosing your input forms, when you click on the submit button, the system will automatically present all the forms your requested, one at a time, for you to fill out.

At the end of each multi-instance input form, you will be prompted for your response as to whether you need to input data on more than one similar form.  For example, if you have three W-2s, check the "SAVE & ADD NEW" button at the bottom of the form to keep obtaining new input forms for each W-2 you have. For instance two of the W-2 forms may be yours and the other may belong to your spouse if married filing jointly.

If you chose a form input page that you do not need, you can click on the " DELETE FORM " button at the bottom of the input page.  This form will not be included in your file.

If you you made some edits on a form, but do not wish to have these edits take place, click the " IGNORE MY CHANGES" button at the bottom of that input page

The FileYourTaxes.com system is generally capable of constructing and eFiling Personal Income Tax returns containing the following items:


Wages, salaries, tips, etc.; Taxable interest; Tax-exempt interest; Dividends; Taxable refunds, Credits or Offsets of State and Local Income Taxes; Alimony received; Business Income; Capital gains or losses; Other Gains and Losses; IRA distributions received (with certain Distribution Codes); Pensions and annuities (with determined taxable amounts); Supplemental Income and Loss (Rentals, etc); Farm Income or Loss; Unemployment Compensation; Social Security Benefits; Certain other income, including but not limited to Gambling Winnings and Foreign Income.


Educator expenses; Certain employee business expenses; Moving expenses; SE Tax; Keogh and other qualified plans; SE health insurance deduction; Penalty on early withdrawal of savings; Alimony paid; IRA deductions for yourself and/or your spouse; Student loan interest deduction; Tuition and fees deduction; Domestic production activities deduction and certain Other adjustments.


Foreign tax credit; Credit for child and dependent care expenses; Credit for elderly and disabled; Education credits; Retirement savings contribution credit; Child tax credit; Additional child tax credit; Mortgage interest credit; Fuel tax credit; Energy and other various credits and Earned income credit.


Alternative minimum tax; Self-employment tax; Social Security and Medicare tax on tip Income not reported to employer; Additional tax on retirement and other distributions; Advance EIC payments; Household employment taxes and Uncollected Social Security and Medicare tax on tips or group life insurance.


Income tax withheld from information return statements (W-2s, 1099s, etc.); Estimated tax payments made; Amounts paid by extensions and Excess Social Security and RRTA payments; certain other payments.


For refunds; Direct deposit of your refund,  Paper Check, and other refund settlement products; For balance due payments: I-PAYbyCreditCard option for tax payments, Paper Payment Vouchers (may also use  Electronic Funds Withdrawal - Direct Debit (ACH Debit) payment option and Installment Agreement Request.


Extensions to File Personal Income Tax (Does not extend the time to pay)


Return to the main Questions and Answers page




McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams